Platform SDK Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Platform Software Development Kit for Windows Server 2003 SP1 Frequently Asked Questions
What is included in the Platform SDK?
Where can I find the Platform SDK documentation online?
Where can I find support for the Platform SDK?
What version of Microsoft Visual C++ is required by the Platform SDK?
Where can I find licensing and copyright information?
Q What is included in the Platform SDK?
The Platform SDK provides documentation, sample code, tools, header files, and libraries for a variety of APIs used to create Windows-based applications.
For a list of APIs covered by the Platform SDK, see Contents of the Platform SDK.
Q Where can I find the Platform SDK documentation online?
The Platform SDK documentation is available online on the MSDN site: http://msdn.microsoft.com/platformsdk.
Q Where can I find support for the Platform SDK?
The following are support options:
Microsoft Product Support Services
Microsoft Public News Groups
MSDN Online Support
MSDN Developer Center
Q What version of Microsoft Visual Studio is required to build the Platform SDK samples?
To build the Platform SDK samples, you need either Microsoft Visual Studio .NET or Microsoft Visual Studio 2003. For more information, see Microsoft Visual Studio.
Q Where can I find licensing and copyright information?
For information on Microsoft product licensing and how to obtain additional licenses, click here.
For permission, copyright, and trademark information, click here.
- Hard Disk Space. Choose a disk drive with a minimum of 1 GB of free space.
- High-Speed Internet Connection. If your connection speed is 56 Kbps or less, it is best to purchase the low-cost SDK CD (US/Canada or International) or install the Web Download.
- Development Tools. To build the C/C++ samples, you must have a C/C++ compiler. If you are using Microsoft Visual C/C++®, run it at least once before installing the SDK. This will ensure that the environment variables are correctly configured. To build the Visual Basic samples, you must have Microsoft Visual Basic®.
- To run the installatio program over the Internet, choose to download the Platform SDK for Windows Server 2003 SP1 Web Install. The installation program will install the components you select.
- To download the Platform SDK in 25-MB packages and run the installation program locally, choose Platform SDK for Windows Server 2003 SP1 Web Download. The installation program will install the components you select.
- To download images that you can burn to a CD, choose Platform SDK for Windows Server 2003 SP1 ISO Image Download.