VHD Test Drive Evaluation Package:
Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise (x64)
This image is provided through the Microsoft VHD Test Drive Program. The intent of this program is to provide customers with fully configured virtual machines for the purpose of test, evaluation, demonstration, training & education and proof of concept. VHD Test Drive images may contain software from Microsoft and Microsoft partners. This image is part of a library and program that is expanding rapidly. Partners are encouraged to write VHDINFO@microsoft.com with regard to questions, issues and desired images.
The evaluation period for this virtual machine image is 180 days, the evaluation period terminates and the image should be discarded. NO EFFORT SHOULD BE MADE TO ACTIVATE THIS IMAGE after that date. Please read the following to get an idea of the risks and key things you need to know.
Guidelines on usage:
· You have 10 days to activate the product. If not activated within 10 days, the system will shut down once every hour until activated.
· The 180-day Trial is the full working version of the Windows Server 2008 R2 x64 Enterprise Full installation, the version most of you will be working with in your corporate environment. It will not require a product key (it is embedded with the download).
· The 180-day Trial will shut down once every hour when you have reached the end of the 180-day evaluation period.
For complete use-rights, please refer to the EULA contained within this evaluation package.
· Do not redistribute this image.
· Do not put this image into a production environment.
· It is recommended not to join this image to a corporate network.
· Connect the Virtual Machine to an external network to activate the 180 day trial period. When you join this image to an external network, you should immediately download updates and security patches for the operating system and all applications. (NOTE: Critical and Recommended updates were incorporated at the time of the image creation)
· Keep the security patches up to date.
In order to use this evaluation package you will need to have Microsoft Hyper-V installed on a physical machine. This Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise evaluation package could be run on:
· Windows Server 2008 Hyper-V or
· Windows Server 2008 R2 Hyper-V or
· Microsoft Hyper-V Server 2008 or
· Microsoft Hyper-V Server 2008 R2
Integration Services for Windows Server 2008 Hyper-V and Microsoft Hyper-V Server 2008 have been installed within the virtual machine.
Hyper-V is available on Windows Server 2008 only and the details on how to install Hyper-V can be found here.
The evaluation package referenced in this document includes a pre-configured virtual machine that you will use to run your evaluation
10/13/2009(Date of Image Creation)
The above table includes the folder that contains all the files necessary to deploy this evaluation image. These files were extracted into the same folder as this document when you ran the installer.
In order to use this evaluation you need to add this package as a new virtual machine to your Hyper-V installation. To do this, perform the following steps from the administration console of your Virtual Server:
· Add the virtual machine to Hyper-V Manager
· Configuring virtual networks
· Launch the virtual machine
Type a name for the new network. Review the other properties and modify them if necessary. You have 10 days grace period for evaluation before activating the 180 day trial. Please ensure to connect the VM to the external network to activate the Virtual Machine and also install the critical and recommended windows updates to keep the machine secure.
1. Once you go through the steps in Add the virtual machine to your Hyper-V manager, the virtual machine you added will be listed under the Virtual Machines pane.
2. Right-Click on the virtual machine and click Start.
Use the following information to log on to Microsoft Windows contained within the virtual machine
· Username: Administrator
· Password: pass@word1
This image contains Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise Edition installed using a default configuration. All critical and recommended updates have been installed at the time of image creation. Please ensure to install additional critical and recommended updates at the time of usage. No optional components are included.
This document is for informational purposes only. MICROSOFT MAKES NO WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, AS TO THE INFORMATION IN THIS DOCUMENT.
Microsoft may have patents, patent applications, trademarks, copyrights, or other intellectual property rights covering subject matter in this document. Except as expressly provided in any written license agreement from Microsoft, the furnishing of this document does not give you any license to these patents, trademarks, copyrights, or other intellectual property.
© 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
Microsoft, MSDN, Windows and Windows Server are either registered trademarks or trademarks of Microsoft Corporation in the United States and/or other countries.